19 November, 2007

The Carvery - Lamb and Veg

For a change of pace today's dining choice was "The Carvery". I have not been here before but was gastronomically seduced by the pictures displayed behind the counter. The concept of hearty home cooked style meals was the main point of appeal. "The Carvery" sells roasted meats (lamb, pork and beef) along with your choice of veg or salad and a range of gravies. My choice was the small roast meal (lamb) with veg for $9.00.







Presentation

Filled the plate in a balanced fashion with good vege colour all round. I chose no gravy for health reasons. Not perhaps a good choice for a hot summers day when a warm and potentially heavy meal would be a bit of a turn off. (9/10)


Size

The options available are small and large. I chose small today to match my apetite. The serving staff are not shy with either the meat or the veg and fill the plate to capacity. No complaints here. (9/10)


Health Factor

The staff carve the meat in front of you and are at pains to remove excess fat and gristle. The meat used is actual meat - not those bullet shaped processed things passed off as meat by other food court operators. I chose to avoid the gravy as this is likely to be fatty and full of artificial and salty flavourants. This did however make the meat quite dry and I did struggle towards the end of the meal. (8/10)


Overall impression

I would have to score this meal highly for its good size and healthy real meat and veg. The only small draw back is the price - coming in at $9.00. But then again I guess we all have to pay for our health.


Overall it is worth it - "The Carvery" beats kebab!

No comments: