15 October, 2007

Foolok - Large Combination

After running in to work at 6:30 in the morning and skipping morning tea, I was ravenous by lunch time. As can happen in such circumstances, my stomach and brain conspired to over-compensate for the low calorie start to the day, and I ended up getting a mountain of food from Foolok Cuisine.

Foolok has about 12 dishes available, and selection is a self-serve affair. I crammed some of most dishes on my plate, giving me a good taste of the variety. The food is slightly above average Chinese foodcourt fare. The vermicelli was delicious, and the meat dishes had a large meat to fat ratio. The veges still had some crispness left, the sauces did not have that 'all tastes the same' feel, and the deep-fried dishes were crisp without dripping with oil. Having said that, the food was a bit greasier than what you'd expect from a normal lunch dish, although about the expected level of greasiness for foodcourt Chinese.

Particulary good was the satay, the barbeque duck and the honey chicken.

At the end of the bain marie near the cash register is a selection of chilli sauces and some fresh corriander. The chilli was very hot and tasty, and the corriander added some much needed greenery to my plate.

After consuming a large amount of high-carb greasy food I felt fairly Foolok'd for the rest of the afternoon. But that's exactly what I was after.

Presentation I can't give a score for this category. The self-service nature takes the responsibility of presentation away from the restauranteur.

Size At first glance the plates supplied for a large combination do not look that big. However, with a bit of forward planning you can stack up a good deal of food. One mark off for inticing me to eat too much. 9/10

Value for money Large quantity of decent-enough food for only $9.00. But it leaves you aching for some fresh fruit or something to cleanse the pallet. 7/10

Quality About what you would expect. No surprises, good or bad. 7/10

Overall If you're after a grease fix and don't mind suffering the after affects, this is just what you need. 7/10

Who wins - kebab or large combination? Iron Chef Kebab

No comments: